Wednesday 23 January 2013

5 Suggested Steps to Get Over Your Mr. X


“Sometimes we must undergo hardships, breakups, and narcissistic wounds, which shatter the flattering image that we had of ourselves, in order to discover two truths: that we are not who we thought we were; and that the loss of a cherished pleasure is not necessarily the loss of true happiness and well-being. (109)”
Jean-Yves Leloup, Compassion and Meditation: The Spiritual Dynamic between Buddhism and Christianity


This week I received a message from one of my lady friends on the world of Facebook asking how I survived my break up because she was in a similar situation.  I had to really think about it, and it was not so much her question but the fact that three other fine ladies had asked me the same thing recently in the same manner.  I began to think what it was about my particular last break up that made women seeking some answer to their current situation to reach out?  I figured it out, my last break up demolished me, I will just own it.  I was a lost mess, I moved here in my petite car crammed full of things with no place to live and no job only to couch surf on my friends sofas and prayed to one day feel the way I do now.  I get it, I am the prodigal son, sort of speak, for women who are rolling in the wretched aftermath of their break ups.  So, first of all, I am sorry you are hurting, break ups suck, they are the worst.  There is actually nothing but time that is truly going to remedy your current heart ache, but these things that take time are what I did that helped me love myself, love my life and in return become ready to look for love in all the right places. So, I hope it helps.

Step One: Cry it Out!

Here you are, your heart has been wrenched from its comfortable loving position in your chest and you are not sure what to do.  You are so use to being in a relationship, you are accustom to your partner always being there so yes you are lonely, the sad thing is you are going to continue to be lonely.  The hard thing to hear at this point, and trust me I could see people telling me this but I did not believe them, is that everything is going to be okay.  Why did I not hear people?  For a number of reasons, because I believed my heart ache was the worst heart ache ever and no one could understand.  Because everyone thought Mr. X and I were soul mates, he asked me to have his children, thus we were supposed to be forever.  Because I was so hurt and destroyed it was hard to see how life could possibly go back to normal.  I understand this step is the most painful step, so here is how you deal with this immense pain.  Find a way to let it out.  You can cry it out, shout it out, fight it out, chat it out, drink it out, dance it out, or run it out.  After my breakup with Mr. AA I was at the gym on the treadmill and I began to think of all the dreadful things he said and did such as pointing out where I was gaining weight, always talking about younger women being better, all the times he cheated or worse, my blood was on fire and I began to run hard on that treadmill, what I did not realize is that I ran for an hour straight on that treadmill just fueled by the rage that I had towards him.  Incredible to have all that anger and find a great outlet.  So I rage ran for months, the amazing thing was once I was done my run every day I felt fantastic! I got it all out.  So find your outlet and hit it hard, get out all the anger, the pain, the sorrow, the rage, all the emotion you feel towards your Mr. X get it all out. I suggest joining a kickboxing club and imagining certain individuals as your punching bag if you really want a therapeutic outlet for any misplaced anger you are harbouring.  Once you have balanced your emotions than you are ready for step two.  (On a side note your emotions are NOT balanced if you feel yourself crying at romantic songs that you hear at the local Karaoke night, or at his favorite food item in the grocery store, or you also burst into tears if someone on the bus is wearing his cologne, if you have any of these symptoms you need to still let out what you are feeling constructively)


Step Two:  Work it Out!

Now you are probably exhausted from the emotional roller coaster of step one so step two is all about you! What makes you happy? What makes you feel great? What makes you feel sexy?  Do all the things you love! And most importantly do them for yourself.  In this step do the things your Mr. X told you, you would never accomplish because you know you can.  What is very IMPORTANT in this step is that when you do them, do them for you and do NOT call him and tell him about it.  It is important once you have reached this step that you realize there is no going back, there is only going forward and you deserve it! For myself I did the makeover, as pictured in a previous blog, I dyed my red short hair black, got extensions, got my nails done, in fact I went for spa day as I love massages.  I bought a new wardrobe more suited for my city lifestyle.  I also applied for legal assistant jobs, and am currently waiting to hear back this week about them.  So, I am working towards the life that my Mr. X scoffed at and told me I would never have.  And, you know what?  I have it.  I love where I live, I love my new look, I love my current job that is coming to an end because it was only temp, but it is through this job that I set up all these legal interviews so amazing networking, so it is the beginning of my legal career.  If you have always wanted to paint, sing, run a marathon, actually make that a triathlon, whatever your dreams are and whatever makes you feel good do those things everyday and enjoy doing them. 

Step Three:  Get Out and Stay Out!

There is nothing worse than moping around thinking about things that you could have done differently.  The past is the past and the future is what you make it so step three is now that you have cried it out, then worked it out, get out and live your life.  Whether it is dancing at the club, roller skating in the park, geocaching at the beach, whatever keeps your mind busy and social! Social being the key word, be around people and be engaged.  I do this very heavy on my girlfriends during my breakups; in fact they are probably reading this thinking that exact same thought.  I call them and hang out with them all the time and it does not even have to be doing something it just has to be in company of someone else.  Why? Because unfortunately you are still lonely.  Girl company is great company and very good to preoccupy your mind from the current situation.  Also, you can be yourself with your lady friends free of judgement which is an important place to be after a hard break up.  For myself I have to be honest my get out and stay out involved a lot of beaches, night clubs and vodka for the entire month of August.  I am not suggesting this therapy to anyone but it was I did.  The amazing thing is that during these first three steps you can be as outlandish and crazy as you want and your friends and family will blame your break up like it is a great reason.  Like all your logic is somehow completely incapacitated by your broken soul and thus you are no longer a rational being.  It is amazing, I literally could eat an entire box of chocolate while drinking an entire bottle of vodka while doing many things in excess and everyone turned a blind eye.  Enjoy this moment, it is the only moment your parents and friends will be on the same page, it is also the only moment they both will not be encouraging you to smarten up, and if you have friends like I do it is also the only moment when your friends and family just sit in silence because they really do not know what to say.  The fact is your friends and family are going through your break up to, they also thought the same things you were thinking and your Mr. X became a fixture in their lives as well.  Also, they love you more than you love yourself and they do not know how to handle your heart ache either.  So be around these people as much as possible, wrap yourself in a blanket of friends and family and love their company because you should not be lonely.  If you are in a responsible position in life and would like than also get a dog, cat, fish, lizard, whatever companion would make you happy.  I have a fat bug (Boston Terrier Pug Cross) best company ever! I strongly suggest getting an animal that will love you as much as you love it and this animal, in particular a dog, will motivate you to get out of the house!  If you are not in a position to do so VOLUNTEER at an animal shelter, or actually now that I am writing this, pretty much volunteering anywhere will be social and make you feel good AND help others!


Step Four: Love yourself!

Alright, the worst is over! You made it to step four! Congratulations, you by this point should be waking up and not cursing the sun for coming up.  In fact you should almost be on the complete mend.  You should be in an emotional stable place and now is the time to realize that you are amazing! Hard to do if you are on step one and reading this, but believe me it will happen.  Fall in love with the person who deserves it most...you! This may take some therapy in the form of music, a person, or literature.  I am not sure what is best for you.  I took a three day intense self development course paired with reading some literature and always music therapy.  Whatever you think it will take for you to believe that you are worth affection and love, because often after the rejection of a break up this kind of self worth is difficult to come by.  Once you know that you are worth the best! And that you are awesome than you are ready for Step Five.

Step Five: Looking for Love in All The RIGHT Places

Now there is really no time definition on when you will be on this step.  As suggest in my original blog 25% of your previous relationship which would actually mean that I have two short sweet months left to be 100 % percent healed but everyone is different and I am feeling pretty great about all things Mr. X related on my part so here is the thing.  Prior to these steps you can absolutely try to find love, but it will not work, if you are in step one, you will be constantly talking about your Mr. X and it will be totally obvious to anyone that you are not ready for anything serious.  Also, it is important to note that you will be putting out a very desperate and slightly crazy vibe and will attract the wrong kind of men, unfortunately I know all about this messy situation.  Moving on to looking for love in step two, you think it is so great when you meet a guy at your Zumba class as you both like to do the same thing.  Guess what you both eat food and breathe oxygen but that does not mean you are ready for him.  You are in the phase where you are searching for your own outlet of happiness, if you find him in it you will latch on to him for dear life because you will equate him with your happiness, it will get messy and you are not ready to be with him yet.  Also, your happy discovery zone should be just yours and keep it that way, maintain your independence in your pursuit for happiness.  However, once you are on this step, step five, absolutely ask the guy at the dog park, zumba, running group for a coffee but not a step sooner! Step Three is a tricky area to meet someone in, because you are heavily reliant on your friends for company and companion ship you may meet a great guy through one of them which is a key to the RIGHT places of this step.  But, if you are only attaching yourself to him than you may be clingy and using him to not feel lonely, so if you meet a guy in step three keep him at a distance until you are done step four, you are only one short step away from five anyways.  Step four you will be doing a lot of soul searching and it may overlap slightly with this step so do not kick yourself if you meet Mr. Right in zone four, do kick yourself however if Mr. Right is your therapist or life coach, because that is blurring a line that should be respected.   Step five = meeting a man either through friends, family or co-worker or your hobbies.  Mr. Elevator and I met at the pub but we were both their for the same birthday party, but never the less a pub so it may be a poor indicator.  Once you have a common ground to meet on and some friends that you can get a little information on him about than you will know if he is good or bad.  It is IMPORTANT to note that I met Mr. X through our mutual close friend and things ended horribly so I am not saying that the correct way to meet a man will result in a good break up, unfortunately nothing can guarantee that, sorry! It is important that you do not meet your new love interest at some seedy pub or at some other casual area as they are most likely not looking for anything like you are.


There you are my ladies, that is all the advice I have.  This worked for me and I hope it works for you.  The most important thing to know is that we have all had our hearts ripped out and we all know what you are going through.  Also, you have survived the worst  and you are still trying, and that is amazing in itself, never give up on you!  And, if it makes you feel better it is a widely accepted phenomena that men deal with break ups far worse than women, (will an issue covered in a future blog) so on your worse day you may take some comfort that he most likely feels worse.  All my best on your speedy recover!
What is interesting is while writing this blog about break up survival Mr. Elevator decided to end things with me.  Fortunately given our short lived fling that I do not need to go through the five steps, a month and a bit is not enough time to know someone well enough to have true feelings for them that is not to say that I was not fully enjoying getting to know Mr. Elevator.  According to the break up calculator of 25% I would only need 9 short sweet days, and seeing as how today would be day 5, four more to go, piece of cake. But no hard feelings for Mr. Elevator he is kind, funny, attractive and has a great job so those are all qualities that are admirable in a man.  But, I made him feel claustrophobic, which is understandable as I am a planner.  I love to plan, it makes me feel comfortable, so when we were together I would like to make plans for our next date, but this can be overwhelming for someone wanting to not rush into anything serious.  So in the end I wish him all the best and understand that not all people are able to get to know each other, it is just not humanly possible.  Also, in the end I have learned something, while I can be a planner in all other aspects of life when it comes to men I should not be, I should just let them chase me and make the plans, life lesson learnt. (On a side note, he did ask for space but I have found it is always best to assume that this means the worst, that he is taking the nice guy way out of ending things. What I have come to realize is that expecting the worst and carrying on creates the situation that you will not be disappointed if that is the outcome and if the outcome is different well then you will be pleasantly surprised. To all  you advocates of ‘The Secret’ I am not saying do not think positively, but rather, think positively about the end and what that means for you rather than swimming in a sea of hope and denial. ) The important thing is to know that worrying, overthinking, over analyzing, etc  will just drive you insane things end because they just do.  Flings die out, people grow apart, relationships get old, and marriages crumble at the end of the day accepting the end is the healthiest thing that you can do.  Accepting the end of something that you worked at can be hard but for every end there is a new beginning.  More importantly these ends lead you to be able to focus on your life and make it all you want it to be.  For myself this particular end leads me back to day one of this 180 day hiatus! And with any luck success at completing it.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I have no idea what this comment means to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you looking for free Twitter Re-tweets?
    Did you know that you can get them AUTOMATICALLY AND TOTALLY FOR FREE by registering on Like 4 Like?

    ReplyDelete