Wednesday 7 November 2012

Day One


In light of numerous facebook posts indicating healthy life choices, taking a break from vices such as gluten, meat, cheese, wine, etc.  I have decided to take a step away from one of my biggest vices the opposite sex for, as the title of this blog indicates 180 days, roughly six months.  Upon revealing my decision to my co-worker this morning she said “You should write a blog” so here I am documenting what I can only assume will be my complete mental break down.  As some of you may have witnessed in the movie 40 days and 40 nights with Josh Hartnett, abstinence can run havoc on one’s mental stability and social life.  But, that said dealing with the opposite sex can also have these effects so I have accepted this challenge. 

                Some of you may be scoffing at said challenge in thinking that it will not be a struggle at all, if I were not a 30 year old woman I would probably have had the same reaction, but being a woman in her sexual prime is the issue.  It is the common perception that women when they hit 30 are sexually peaking, for a multitude of reasons ranging from confidence to sexual knowledge.  The majority of women in their 30’s are very sexual creatures and therefore to be one of these creatures and stepping away from the opposite sex will prove extremely challenging.  Not to mention my network of ladies that think such a feet is next to impossible.  For privacy sake they will be referred to as Ms. A, Ms. J, Ms. K and Ms. M.  Ms. A in a most supportive text reminded me of how hard such a challenge will be in a city full of hot men.  Ms. J and Ms. M agreed that such a long period of time was ridiculous while Ms. K is contemplating her own man hiatus.  In spite of the lack of confidence I am still going to try.

                Of course one must enter into a challenge fully knowing the mental and physical side effects associated with abstaining from men. On the mental side, “There may be a link between sexual repression and aggression, insensitivity, criminal behavior, and a greater likelihood of killing and torturing enemies.”[i]  Thus my main concern in this experiment will be not to fly into a fit of rage and start torturing my enemies, enemies you have been warned. It is also my own belief that abstinence will  trigger some crazy food cravings, such as chocolate and most likely lead to some bouts of copious bottles of wine, but there does not seem to be any literature to suggest this, until now. Physically the benefits are pretty obvious, avoiding contracting an sexually transmitted diseases, however on the other side of things “having sex even a few times a week may be associated with the following: improved sense of smell; reduced risk of heart disease; weight loss and overall fitness; reduced depression; the relief or lessening of pain; less frequent colds and flu; better bladder control; and better teeth” [ii] There are also numerous accounts of literature that suggest that regular sexual activity enhances life longevity.  Given all these marvelous health improvements I am finding myself wavering on my challenge but it must be done.  Not only to prove to myself I can do it but also given the over whelming amount of literature written for women on how to deal with the way men treat them these health benefits can take a back seat for a while. This blog will happen once a week with my general thoughts and hardships on this journey to hopefully a healthier, happier me, or on the other hand a more insane person, only time will tell.  Stay tuned!



[i] Donovan Charles “Encouraging the Abstinent Majority” Heritage Foundation 01 Jun 2010
[ii] Alex Farham “Sex is Necessary” Forbes Magazine 08 Oct 2003
 

No comments:

Post a Comment