Tuesday 26 February 2013

To Date, Or Not To Date? Online That Is....


“Online dating is now like eating at Denny's thanks to Photoshop, in person your order looks nothing like the photo on the menu.” - Unknown.


 

Recently I have been noticing people with their online dating interests and it is another fascinating social phenomena that I have decided to explore, if for nothing else this blog.  Basically what intrigues me about online dating is first of all it is window shopping.  You get to pick and choose whoever you might fancy based on your attraction to their photos.  While I feel there is a warning here as Ms. J once told me about the popular dating site Plenty of Fish (POF) “Take the ugliest picture of them on there and times it by a million in ugliness and that is what they actually look like” So! Once you have a very poor concept of them physically then you will for sure not be disappointed when they turn out not half bad.  In August when I first moved here I went out with a few men from POF but they were duds, their looks were not half bad but there were just no spark so after I think it was possibly three dates I went off of it.  But, this week I thought I would give it a go again (from chatting with my other single POF ladies they to do this trend of going on, going off, etc.) Which brings me to my second intrigue about the online world of dating, anonymity.  You can be anyone you want to be! Actually COINCIDENTALLY enough while I was on there I actually saw a picture of a sexy male model that I had used in my blog, as a profile pic.  It was clearly not the same man in the sequence of photos and the picture was a professional model so this imposter had stolen said model’s sexy body and face, along with several other male models.  It is a virtual reality where you write your own character, and if you are satisfied with just an online world you can live there as whomever you wish to be.  

Here are some great statistics to get across the point of how popular online dating has become:

Total number of single people in the U.S.
54 Million
Total number of people in the U.S. who have tried online dating
40 Million
Total eHarmony members
20 Million
Total Match.com members
15 Million
Number of questions to fill out on eHarmony survey
400
Annual revenue from the online dating industry
$1.049 Billion
Average spent by dating site customer per year
$239
Average length of courtship for marriages that met online
18.5 Months
Average length of courtship for marriages that met offline
42 Months
Percent of users who leave within the first 3 months
10 %
Percent of male online dating users
52.4 %
Percent of female online dating users
47.6 %
(Reference 2 below)
 

 

 In this fantasy world you can also ask for things you may never ask for without the cloak of anonymity.  For example I had a man ask me for a picture of my feet.  Feet, something I do not think are pretty or nice to look at, but to someone else they are more erotic than I will ever understand.  So, while eating some potato chips and watching Netflix I took a picture of my clammy little foot and sent it.  Why not? It is not anything I would ever be embarrassed of if I saw it posted on the internet, and trust me I have been asked for A LOT worse by men that claim to respect me.  Here is the thing, once I sent it there was a very kind thank you, followed by compliments that were NOT of the sexual nature and an “I would love to rub your feet”  YES! I would love for someone to rub my feet on the regular.  That would be amazing.  After working ten hour days in tight, fashionable shoes, do you know what I do? I commute home and soak my feet in my little soaker foot bath for an hour with Epson salts.  I LOVE pedicures.  When I told my girlfriends about this online experience they said they are totally grossed out by foot fetishes.  Agree to disagree here ladies.



Another wonderful side to this online dating gig is that rejection is much easier to take.  There is no awkward humiliating moment when as Jenna Marbles says women say “Ew, go away” No, no.  There is simply a non-response or if they do respond, who cares? They are some stranger on the internet, you will never see them.  So you chat and chat and chat and, well you get the point.  And, this has not happened yet for me, but eventually one of you asks each other out. I know some of you may be thinking it would be so strange to date a stranger off the internet.  Let me tell you it is STRANGE to date anyways.  Dating is always going to be a bit strange, a bit unfamiliar, and a bit awkward until you find your bearings it is just the way getting to know someone works.  And, as my dear friend Ms. M pointed out, “always meet in public places they might be serial killers” I know Ms. K would have the same endearing advice as she has for everything to be careful and Ms. A would just laugh and laugh and then tell me to tell her all about it. 



In my week of being on online dating I have come to see that an interesting aspect of it is that there is actually online chemistry.  What I mean is that you can tell within a few messages if someone gets your sense of humour or have similar interests as you.  In fact you can ask questions and tell right away so it is almost better than meeting in person. While they can create any persona they want they can also be as honest as they want.  Also, if they are truly looking to meet someone who you get along with that you have a meaningful connection than you are not going to pretend to be something that you are not.  So, in that sense if you are chatting with someone on the same level as you, who is looking to meet someone they truly get along with than they are going to be more sincere than men that are out and about just looking to hook up.  Although BE WARNED as Marie Claire has expressed EASY SEX is the number 3 reason people online date.  The other four of the five reasons were 1) they have no time, 2) They think they have no game 3) They are tired of the meat market 4) They like to categorize their options (Reference 1) . So please do not be fooled into sex with a random stranger from the interworld as you may think you have soul connection on line and then give it away too fast in person, just to get burned. 



In my personal life I have not had any dates.  Mr. Elevator and I are over completely.  And, all over the other situations is a bit complicated.  However, it was through my excursion online that I realized that I do like several different types of personalities.  Also, reflecting upon my friends I have realized that I really enjoy the down to earth types who are new age and into alternative life styles so I am interested in meeting someone who can understand and not be judgemental about that way of life.  But, at the same time I find it very attractive when a man is successful and wears a business suit and has a similar career goal like myself so I also need a white collar type man.  But, at the same time I realized a lot of my friends from Small Town Nowhere are a bit red neck, they love the outdoors, drinking beers, camping, beach fires and four by fouring so I also need a little bit of that.  What is great is that through online dating I realized the different characters (unfortunately from all different men) that I want.  So, now what I need to do is prioritize those features. I do NOT want to date four men; I want to find a man who incorporates most of the above mentioned features along with my relationship needs.  I say needs because they are more than wants or desires they are what I need to be happy.

  I also realized that in ending things with Mr. Elevator that I am better than what he had to offer me.  I deserve a man who wants to be with me full on and yell it from the roof tops even! I had a self-actualization this week, without men, without dating, without booze that I am worth finding someone amazing.  In fact I realized that I am a good catch, I have a good job, I am a good person, I work hard, I treat my family great and my friends, I have a good heart and I put a lot of effort into my relationships and I deserve someone who gives it their all as well.  The sad truth is until about two days ago I just was not sure I was worth it.  I felt like I was okay at life and not really that great of a catch until this week, while saying good bye to certain unwanted forces I felt incredibly empowered and it was amazing! I woke up knowing exactly what I want.  I want to date and find that person who offers me the world, and in return I will be offering them the same thing.  What an amazing journey I am about to embark on with this new clarity! I know exactly the things I want from a man finally.  On a side note there is someone who is pretty great in the works but this will all be saved for another blog.  Until next week my lovely readers say I little wish for me in my adventure to find this awesome future man.  XOXO

 

RECOGNIZE THIS GUY?? Well apparently he is on POF…..ya right!

References:

Pictures:


Articles:



 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. If you would like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

    If you would prefer to have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in noisy pubs and restaurants...

    Then I urge you to view this eye-opening video to learn a strange little secret that has the potential to get you your very own harem of beautiful women:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete