Wednesday 23 December 2015

I'll have a blue Christmas without you.


As I was driving downtown over the bridge enjoying Christmas tunes on the radio the song "Last Christmas" by Wham came on and I realized this year is the first Christmas I am single in almost a decade.  I am not going to lie to you Christmas is a very romantic time of year.  Horse carriage rides around sparkling Christmas lights, hot cocoa, cuddles by a lit fire and constant proposal announcements on social media are all enough to drive any sane single person to the brink of desperation.  BUT! Rather than get defeated by a commercialized holiday I choose the following three tips to prevent me from eating all contents of fridge while longing for a real life Mark Darcy.

1) Try something new.  I tried swing and blues dancing and it was the best thing I could have done on a Saturday night.  Do not give into the urge to sit at home alone eating Christmas bonbons and watching The Holiday (which I have also done).  Get out of your comfort zone and socialize with new people and experience new things.  And, yes, while the holidays are prime full of couple activities they are also just as full of fun events and things to try.  Go to a cooking class, or Christmas fair, or Light Show, or even better go skiing and spa-ing with a friend.  As long as you stay busy meeting people and having fun I promise the loneliness lingering in boredom will not get you.

2) Think of all the money and time you have.  Being single around the holidays is actually a blessing.  While I do enjoy seeing all the adorable pictures of everyone getting their real Christmas trees I also think "Man who has the time to go to the Christmas tree farm, and agree on a tree, and then transport it home, and then decorate it?".  Not to mention all the money this costs all just to have it up for a week.  However, no one expects you to have a tree if you are a single woman.  In fact no expects you to do anything when you are single at Christmas time which is so relaxing! Do you know what I did on the weekend.  Wrapped the few gifts I have for my small family, visited friends, watched Netflix and ate nachos.  The past ten years had been full of making sure I had all the cards out to both of the family members for the men in my life and myself, and to make sure I had all the gifts and that they were perfectly wrapped and then to make sure the house was decorated (and of course pictured on social media so that everyone knows what an adorable Christmas we were having)...and to be honest it was exhausting!! This year I can take a deep breath and just roll with single girl problems which are really far and few between.


  • 3) Listen to uplifting music and share Christmas cheer.  You know what is a lot of fun, taking your over weight pug to get his picture taken with Santa and then getting this gem of a memory made into a card for your co-workers because it makes them laugh! Then listening to fun upbeat Christmas songs on the way home.  Spread joy because it will make you happy I promise.  So get out and make people happy, I promise you will smile!  Go to the neighbor you noticed has no family this time of year and give them the cookies, donate that box full of canned food to a family in need, give your time, smile and treats to someone this holiday season and it will bring you into the joy of what Christmas is all about.


The truth of the matter is that there are all kinds of people living all kinds of lifestyles and while some Christmas songs and movies make us want to share this holiday season with someone romantically, love comes in all forms.  Try and open yourself up to new friendships, new smiles and new experiences and don't get blue during this time of year.  Thanks for reading! XO

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like an alternative to randomly picking up girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you'd rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded bars and night clubs...

    Then I encourage you to watch this eye-opening video to find out a strong little secret that can literally get you your personal harem of hot women just 24 hours from now:

    Facebook Seduction System!!!

    ReplyDelete