Wednesday 26 February 2014

3 Signs You Have Met Mr. Right


So recently a few of my fantastic ladies have been feeling taken for granted (that is not news to me, I hear this all the time, and I have definitely felt this way too in my previous relationships).  Given that this is not new news I was not really phased or overly bothered than the usual.  BUT, what really threw me into the topic for this blog was what one of my dearest friends (who shall remain nameless this week) told me.  She told me that recently and only recently she was treated amazingly well by a man.  She said that he made her feel really special, something her current man does not often do.  This made me realise something terrible.  I DO NOT hear how fantastic men are treating their women often enough (and of course this can go both ways, women treat men shabby too often too!). 

I do, however, hear how terrible their partners are, how demanding, how unfair, demeaning, jealous, crazy...the list goes on but you get the point.  I literally know about a handful of friends who constantly tell me how lovely it is to be with their partner and how amazing their partner makes them feel.  Don’t get me wrong there will be a rough patch here and there with everyone. BUT, it is how these happy couples treat one another when they weather the storm that keeps them so damn happy.  The following are three indicators you are with the right one (also if you do not have any of these indicators than you are clearly with the wrong one, sorry to say).



1)     You feel lucky.  If you look at your love and think you are the luckiest person in the world than you are with the right one. Here is a little story, the other day The American came over to my place in the midst of a blizzard.  He was over for about five minutes when I told him I was out of toilet paper but had part of a box of Kleenex until tomorrow.  Without question he put a leash on my dog (who loves walks!) and went to the shop to grab some (I should mention that he also brought me my favorite treat and gave me a massage).  I thought to myself “That is awesome! I am really lucky.”  The truth is I feel like this all the time.  There are no feelings of wavering doubt. 

 Also, I strongly believe when you have found someone that you truly feel lucky to be with, like gold.   If you honestly think you have really lucked out and the man you are with is the bees knees, than you are going to treat him as such, I am sure of it.  The truth is I have dated men who I did feel lucky be with.  But, it was not really the right feeling of luck.  It was not based on how they treated me, it was more a feeling of luck based on the fact that they had similarities to me, or my family liked them, or whatever.  I was basing my evaluation of them on things that were not merely as important as how I was being treated EVERY SECOND OF EVERYDAY.  That feeling of luck can’t leave you and come back, if you have struck gold than that feeling of appreciating will be there to stay.


2)     You are treated like GOLD! Above I was saying if you feel lucky than you will treat your partner like gold, well guess what?  It works both ways.  If your man makes you feel like a queen than he feels lucky too!  Everyone has their own concept on what being treated like a queen means.  Ideally you will find a man that treats you the way that you want to be treated.  (AND, to anyone reading this trying to brush off my emotions on the “honey moon phase” shame on you! You know my feelings about that).  Unfortunately if you settle for a man who treats you like you are some kind of peasant who is fortunate to grace his presence, than you will be miserable.  If you feel like you are less than your partner, than you are not with the right one.  You will always be sacrificing yourself and compromising your own happiness to appease them out of feelings of being unworthy. 

The right person will make you shine when you are in your darkest moment.  They will be your companion when you feel alone and they will help you up when you fall down.  It is a terrible thing to be trapped with a miserable person.  Misery loves company and if you are with someone who constantly makes you feel worthless than you are with the wrong person.  Sometimes my girlfriends ask me if I think there is someone for everyone, even their cruel, cheating, thieving, exes.  I tell them it is possible.  This is very hard to hear because for some reason women have this view that they can be the woman to change a man to his full potential...you should not need to change anyone, if they wanted to be the person you wanted them to be they would.  The truth is that it is completely possible there is someone just as miserable as someone else who would live the life they want to live with someone you might see as terrible.  I am not here to judge those people, but if you feel like you are being treated like sh*t on a shoe than you are not one of these people who thrives being miserable.  We should all be treated like gold.



3)     Comfortable in your skin.  If you feel sexy, confident and happy you are with the right one.  The truth is we all have something about us that we see as unsightly!  Here you go, I have sweaty hands all the time.  It is a disorder I was born with that approximately one in six north Americans have, it makes me extremely self conscious about touching.  We all have moments where we feel unsure and are afraid of being judged this is normal.  However, if you are with someone that you can waltz in the nude in front of and knows you touch up your roots and you feel happy that he knows everything about you, than you are with the right one.  (PLEASE do not confuse this with comfort zone where people pee with the door open and clean their ears in front of you – that is still disgusting to me.) If you feel so beautiful that on days that you are not wearing makeup or have just woke up because your partner makes you feel that way than you are with the right one. 

You should never, ever have to lie to the person you are with PERIOD.  I am not saying keep a detailed diary of your life and report to your partner because that is crazy and also boring.  I mean you should never fear the reaction of your love.  That is real love.  Real love is saying all the truths about yourself, and more, and having them accepted.  Unless of course you are planning an amazing surprise for you love (F.Y.I I hate surprises, I am way too much a planner to enjoy them).   The truth is if you are keeping things from your lover because you are afraid of them not loving you anymore than not only are you presenting a false front, you are not wholly loved. You may also be living in fear of being alone and should re-evaluate why you are so afraid to be without someone.  The person you are with can only love the parts of you he knows about.  Basically if your partner knows all about you and still says those three little words than you are with the right one.


I hope that you are all happy and loved because that is what we all deserver in this life.  I am not talking about seeking out love and being desperately validated by it.  NOT AT ALL! I am talking about feeling worth every second of love and appreciation that you deserve.  If your partner constantly makes you feel poorly than you are with the wrong one and if you are lucky enough to find someone who makes you feel wonderful than you are right where you need to be.  Thanks for reading! XO 

No comments:

Post a Comment