Wednesday 19 February 2014

Happiness! Try it out.

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” 
― Dr. Seuss




Winter blues seem to have hit us all hard lately.  I know it is hard to be happy when every thing is grey and dreary we are really getting into winter aren't we?  Yes there is no avoiding it! But, here are five easy tricks to boost your happiness and in turn all your relationships will be better! In fact being happier and more self complete will lead you to re-evaluate those in your life! And, meet new people worth your positive new outlook! Here goes:

1) Optimism.  This seems to be the number number one top of the list to all the articles I read this week about increased happiness in life.  Optimism appears to be the best medicine.  This is what I am doing I take out negative words from my vocabulary AND outlook.  Such as instead of saying "I could never..." I say "One day this could happen..."  Never shut yourself out from anything by creating a negative ambiance with your words.  Try not to create a wall of don'ts, can'ts, shouldn'ts...etc because the second your mind gets a hold of of these negative connotations it will bring your spirits down.  Also, if you are hanging about with people that use a lot of negative thinking you may want to approach how they talk to you.  True story: Once The American and I had a conversation and he said "Don't ..." to something that bothered him.  This word don't really bothered me.  It came across as a boundary that I did not understand fully because I was not sure what I was suppose to be doing instead, it came across as a criticism and to be frank a bit bossy.  So, I told him my thoughts on negative words.  They bring you down, they do not allow for positive growth and they can be so detrimental.  In many self development courses they teach you to speak in the affirmative and think in the affirmative.  It is such a simple step that we can all do for free and I guarantee the more you approach your life in the affirmative the happier you will be!

“For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” 
― Ralph Waldo Emerson




2) Express kindness! This is the best tip I think! Compliment someone, give a homeless person some soup, volunteer, pay for your neighbor's coffee in the morning, a small act of kindness goes a long way! Not just for the person receiving it.  You know what I find so amazing?  The look of confusion on people's faces when you are kind.  Kindness is so rare in our day in age that people are never expecting a kind word or action with no strings attached.  It is no wonder people are feeling down and out! So the next time you see a woman on the train and you like her scarf tell her, the next time you see some one struggling to open the door on the windy day help them.  Show kindness.  Be human.  These acts will warm your soul.  Every act of kindness helps you realize that other acts are not necessary.  I was getting on the Seabus the other day and I was just wrapping up a phone conversation with my dad who is a disabled man who does not get out much so we chat everyday on the phone at the same time.  He was finishing telling me about his latest doctor's appointment and I was just about to tell him I would call him after my commute like I always do as I do not enjoy chatting on any buses.  This very rude woman turned and faced me and declared "I am NOT sitting by you" and gave me a look of disgust because I was on the phone.  (It is funny to note here she went and sat down and three very loud mouthed teen aged girls sat beside her laughing and shouting the whole time).  But, I could not help but be struck by how incredibly rude she was.  Kindness is needed so badly in this world.  Kindness helps people feel good about themselves, and the kinder you are to others the better you will feel about yourself.

“Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” 
― Marthe Troly-CurtinPhrynette Married




3) Savor the small things! This was also a chart topper on the resources I scoured this week to compile this blog.  Savoring every little thing that brings you happiness through out the day, instead of focusing on the negative will greatly improve the quality of your life.  Here is what I do in the morning.  I either get a chai latte or a hot chocolate with whip cream on top.  Each of these two drinks the first sip is magic.  It makes me feel warm, happy, and ready for the day.  It is the smallest of things that brings a huge smile to my face.  Just like hearing your favorite song on the radio when you pop in the car on your way to work, or finding the perfect free parking spot on your way out, the little things matter.  We live in a society consumed with entitlement that we never stop to truly appreciate the small things that really make our lives happy.  There are always going to be bad days for sure like you drop the shampoo hard on your foot in the shower breaking the cap off only to then get rained on because you forgot your umbrella only to miss your bus kind of days...HOWEVER if instead of being beaten by those moments you realize that the person in front of you bought your coffee and you got complimented on your outfit you will be happier.  Focusing on the small ups in life is the best thing for all of us to do.  There is nothing worse than being trapped by a negative person who all they do is point out every negative thing possible every to you it really brings you down.  So, if you, yourself focus on the positives in your life it will lift your spirits!

“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” 
― Mahatma Gandhi




4) HEALTH! This perhaps should be number one and is also up on the top of lists of happiness factors I sifted through.  Health is so important! When you are healthy you will be happy period.  This does not mean when you are skinny or when you are a muscle man, I mean healthy.  When you eat healthy and exercise everyday you will feel good about yourself!!  Exercise helps with the body circulation, sleep patterns, healthy weight maintenance, anxiety, it has so many benefits to keeping the mind healthy.  I have to tell you I use to think runners were a bit weird.  Why? Because they are so happy! They are always bubbly and laughing and then I realized why! Exercise not only helps you stay healthy and happy but it also really gives you a sense of accomplishment.  Last year when I ran my first half marathon I was so happy, but even beyond that just my warm up runs felt great! I felt a real sense of pride in accomplishing a run everyday and people always complimented me it was such a great feeling and this year when I do my full marathon I will once again have these great emotions.  I am not telling you to run a marathon, but I am telling you to get in even just twenty minutes of exercise a day and you will be happier (for your information sex is a great work out..wink, wink).

“Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV




5)  Sleep.  Getting enough sleep is tantamount to quality of life.  Without it you become lethargic, grumpy, and delirious.  One must sleep to be happy.  A balanced life style involves sleep.  I believe that you can read any article you want on this topic but your body is the best indicator of the sleep you need.  Some nights you will toss and turn and some nights you will sleep like a log.  Your body is the captain (unless you have insomnia then you should talk to someone about that).  Your body will let you know when it is very tired and wants to nap, or when it is fully rested and wants some outdoor time.  Listen to your body.  The truth is your body is speaking to you all the time.  It is telling you when it needs water, food, rest it is a machine that functions on your actions.  Have you ever woke up in the middle of the night so parched you could barely stand it, BUT before bed you were a bit thirsty but did not listen to your body?  You only have one body so let it rest when it is tired.  Listen to it and keep it happy and healthy and in turn you will feel great!

There you have it! I hope these five simple steps help! They have certainly helped me.  Remember even if you don't eat healthy every second of every day or you miss  your weekly exercise DON'T beat yourself up!! Stay positive about your possibilities! We all have off days but that does not mean that you are not capable of turning every day into a happy one.  Until next week! XO

All pictures are from google except the top one that is my happiest little dog.

1 comment:

  1. If you'd like an alternative to casually picking up girls and trying to find out the right thing to do...

    If you would rather have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in crowded pubs and nightclubs...

    Then I encourage you to play this eye-opening video to find out a weird secret that might get you your personal harem of sexy women just 24 hours from now:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete