Wednesday 12 February 2014

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY ALL!

"I got sunshine on a cloudy day, 
When its cold outside I've got the month of May"
-The Temptations My Girl

I hope that you are not one of those sad girls who curses pretty little red heart shaped boxes because you may be single! Or you are one of those anti Halmark haters who curse the consumerism of it all!  Valentine’s day is about one thing: love.  You don’t have to buy anything and you don’t have to be taken.  You don’t have to be anything period.  In fact you know what?  I give funny cards to my girlfriends STILL to this day!  And I sometimes make them and I sometimes buy them.  I bake cupcakes for my coworkers.  I embrace this pretty little heart shaped day because each day is what you make it.  So if you are wallowing or cursing on the day of love! Give your head a shake! Find what you love and be nice about it.  In the spirit of being SUPER CHEESY!! And lovey dovey, this blog is dedicated to four reasons why The American is totally radical.  Hopefully through my ramblings below you may see what qualities are great in a partner!



1)      HE LISTENS! Yep, he surely does.  AND! I don’t mean in a half ass, “yes dear” patronizing way.  I mean he truly listens.  When I say “I feel like eating, watching, etc... because” or I just plain feel a certain way he listens and hears me.  He displays this amazing feat by saying things like “I understand, or "I would love to," (and even sometimes) "I disagree"...etc.”  He says something which says that he has heard me.  THEN he either says his own feelings on the subject OR relates a similar story which shows me he truly GETS the words that I have just said to him.  AND! Furthermore he then formulates a solution based on our conversation.  It can be as simple as what to eat, what movie to watch, to larger relationship issues such as trust but the end result is always the same.  I feel acknowledged, I feel accepted.  I DO NOT feel like he is brushing off my words with hurtful things like “Oh you are just being crazy, over reacting, etc...”  Nope.  Never.  Instead I feel like he sees me as an equal, my feelings are equal to his, and he truly wants me to be heard.  This is the number on thing among a million that make him the best!

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams"
- Dr Suess
"



2)      HE IS EMOTIONALLY MATURE (okay most of the time...just kidding!)  The American does not ever, ever ignore me when I call him or text (OF COURSE these conversations are outside of work hours! Let’s not be too demanding we all have to make a living!).  He is open to discussing things like a mature adult.  He does not name call, he does not place blame, he does not do a million and one immature things that other men do all the time that I hear about non stop from my girlfriends.  Instead he has conversations with me about ALL things under the sun, no matter how trivial they may seem.  He is open to discussion about himself and while we are both head strong people he is one hundred percent open to admitting that he has been in the wrong (as have I we are still learning our ups and downs after four months of dating you know).  He does not pout, or get even, he does not yell, throw shit, get mean, get nasty, get jealous, he does not get, get! He instead has the emotional maturity to be in a relationship and this is an amazing quality to find!



3)      HE DOES NOT BACK DOWN.  (Insert Salt and Pepper Lyrics here “What a Man”) The American does not let me boss him around.  I am bossy.  I do not see this as insult either by the way.  Bossy means leadership.  Bossy means courage.  Bossy also means sometimes you are so gung-ho about something you forget there is someone else involved...unfortunately! Sorry!  But, The American has an uncanny ability to say “No Thanks.”  For this I give him mad respect! There is nothing worse than a man who has no passions of his own! No friends, no social life, no drive.  The American says no to doing things that he would just rather not do.  This is awesome! There is nothing sexier than a man who will say “No Thanks” every once and a while.  BUT! A man who always says “No Thanks” IS TERRIBLE! You can not be chasing him all over town while he says no to putting in effort.  There must be balance.  The American has that and for this I will always respect him.

"What a man, what a man, what a man.  What a mighty, mighty good man.  Yes he is."
-Salt'n'Peppa What a Man



4)      HE HAS A BRAIN! Yep, yes he does.  Intellect! Hot damn it is so fine.  There is nothing hotter than a man who has his wits about him!  What’s that you say?  He reads books?  That is my kind of man!! Outside of the fact that the American is intellectual (and successful) He also uses this brain to think of cool things for he and I to do together.  He uses this brain to think while he is out to pick up my favorite drink or candy bar.  He uses this brain to think of me.  This is so flattering.  It is also SUCH A RELIEF! Do you know how tedious it is to be the only person who constantly thinks of what to do?  Or to be the only person who buys small surprises on the regular because you thought of your lover?  IT IS THE WORST.  The American uses his brain to impress me pretty much everyday, but perhaps it is his kind heart in the mix too.



That wraps up my love blog for this week! I hope you learned something about what makes a really great partner and also learned that I care more deeply for The American more and more.  See what is confusing is that women spend their lifetime being programmed that love will knock you right out of your boots, throw you to the moon and then drag you to hell in some kind of twisted Shakespearian love story, but the truth of the matter is sometimes your “lobster” comes knocking with a soft hand.  He makes life easier, he touches your heart every day.  There is no drama, there is no tragedy there is only a growing fondness that blossoms a little more until you really believe that one person might actually be made for you.  You fit together like two happy peas in a pod and that is what makes me crazy for my guy.  Thanks for reading! XOXO 

No comments:

Post a Comment