Wednesday 25 November 2015

Out of the Darkness


Alright, last lesson to pass on from The American.  When he threw my heart in the waste bin he said he didn't want to be around someone who drank like a 21 year old.  Aside from his comment and my dear dad also telling me that one day alcohol had to get gone I decided to give it up.  Here are three lessons sobriety has taught me.

1) I feel great!! I didn't realize how sh#t drinking made me feel until I cut it out of my life for two weeks.  Week one I didn't really notice but by week two I noticed everything was better.  Food, mornings, working out.  Everything felt a little more alive.  Every passing week I feel physically better.  I lost weight and read a lot about how alcohol effects metabolism.  I replaced happy hour with spin classes. My skin started to get a glow.  Every second of every day just feels better.

2) Emotions are good.  Alcohol was definitely keeping my demonds in the dark.  It distracted me from loneliness, anger, sadness.  The truth is these feelings are not so bad.  Feeling them is actually better than numbing them away.  Numbing them made them come back with a vengeance and caused me to be totally unbalanced.  I now have emotional clarity.  Stability.  Happiness.  I am not afraid to feel what I need to, to learn what I need to learn about myself and continuously grow.  Alcohol was stunting me as a person.

3) I have confidence again and I mean real, clear, beautiful confidence. No hazy weekends making me self conscious. No uncertainty of embarrassing flirtations.   No more useless numbers in my cell that never go anywhere except make me doubt my self worth. All the negative mental seeds planet by alcohol have been uprooted and are gone.  They have been replaced by gorgeous clear and conscious decisions which  have rewarded me with confidence and for this I am grateful.

 I should clarify that I was a weekend warrior primarily.  I would have fun on the weekends but I realized that alcohol brought nothing positive to my life so I am turning over a new leaf.  Thanks for reading. XO





























No comments:

Post a Comment